Know your last frost free date.
We picked 3 hypothetical cases to illustrate how to plan out your seed starting strategy:
- Growing a Brandywine heirloom tomato in North Carolina, USA
- A Brandywine takes about 8 weeks to develop into a seedling.
- The last frost date in Wake Forest, North Carolina is March 28th.
- March 28th minus 8 weeks is approximately Jan 31st.
- Start your seed germination on Jan 31st.
- Growing onions in Dusseldorf, Germany
- Onion seedlings take 10-12 weeks to develop from seed.
- The last frost date in Dusseldorf, Germany is April 20th.
- April 20th minus 11 weeks is about Feb 3rd.
- Start your seeds around Feb 3rd.
- Growing a Montreal Musk Melon in Kahnawake, Canada
- Melons take 2-4 weeks to develop from seed.
- Kahnawake's last frost date is May 20th.
- May 20 minus 3 weeks is about May 1st.
- Start seeds in early May.
United States: http://www.almanac.com/content/frost-chart-united-states
Aboriginal Maple Syrup
Maple covered walnuts
- 2 cups walnuts or your favourite nut
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- pinch of salt
- Melt butter and pinch of salt in a skillet.
- Add maple syrup stirring constantly until concoction browns and thickens.
- Add nuts stirring constantly until nuts are well coated absorbing all maple syrup.
- Remove nuts to a baking sheet covered with wax paper to cool.
Great snack or added to salads, ice cream or your favorite dessert.